Here are 5 personal essentials that I think a professional should consider:
- A wardrobe that says you are a professional. I’m not showing up to teach in my college hoodie and a messy bun. I aim to be hip but classy and comfortable. I own at least 10 professional dresses that make me feel like a total boss.
- An emergency kit that you can keep in your desk. You never know when you need a little assistance. I store a mini mirror, Burt’s Bees chapstick, perfume by JLo, mouthwash, peppermint gum, mints, deodorant, almond lotion, tweezers, a safety pin, a mini sewing kit, feminine products, Clif Bars, and a 5 hour energy drink.
- I put my vision for my work into action with a planner, a calendar, pens and stickys. Oh, stickys! I’m pretty sure I’ve killed a few trees already with just my use of stickys this year.
- An inspiration board that will remind you of what is important and motivate you to stay on track toward your goals. I love words. Words that motivate and inspire. It helps me to maintain positivity if I’m reminded of my goals and vision. Sometimes having a list to look over helps. But more often, I find inspiration from reading quotes that speak to me. Here’s a recent one: “If you only do what you can do, you’ll never be better than what you are.” Isn’t that just good? Also, art and photographs are visually stimulating. I have a picture of me on the top of Mt. Merapi. It’s a picture that makes me proud. Positive vibes all the way!
- Slippers, a blanket, and a personalized mug with hot tea. I have a coffee maker in my room that I use to make herbal tea I bought in Japan. I bring in mugs that make me happy. One says “One step at a time” and the other says, “She believed she could, so she did”. I keep slippers under my desk for me to wear during my prep time. I also have a throw blanket. I get to school an hour and half before school starts, so it feels wonderful to start the morning off slow and peaceful with a hot drink and comfort.
Those are my personal essentials when it comes to being an educator. If I were to add anything, it would be a portable heater. However, as of lately, my room has been pretty toasty. Also, a good music playlist keeps me perky. What are your essentials?
Live free life full,